Senior Drilling Supervisor
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking a Senior Drilling Supervisor to join the Technical Services & Projects Department at the Superpit operation in Kalgoorlie. KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
This is a residential role on a 5:2/4:3 roster.
This role will be responsible in monitoring and advising the drilling Contractors to ensure that all drilling programs at KCGM are executed safely, with optimal productivity and in compliance with the requirements of Newmont’s Exploration Drilling Standard. Importantly, as a drilling subject matter expert, the Senior Drilling Supervisor provides guidance and mentorship to the Geology team in the fields of drill-related planning, safety, plod and invoice auditing and productivity optimisation.
Key accountabilities may involve:
- Advise on, develop and implement effective safety policy for all drilling-related activities undertaken on site.
- Conduct regular field-based safety interactions and critical control verifications with drilling contractors ensuring that improvement opportunities are captured in Cintellate with appropriate actions to be tracked, verified and closed out.
- Develop, implement and champion an audit regime covering procedure and equipment to ensure that KCGM is at all times compliant with the Newmont Exploration Drilling Standard.
- Develop and maintain the necessary registers for Fatality Risk Management and the Exploration Drilling Standard requirements.
- Be intimately involved in the verification of drill plods and invoices for validity against the program executed and the active drill contracts.
- Analyze data captured in DrillCost to identify opportunities for improvement in driller performance, minimization of standby and directional drilling time and optimisation of maintenance schedules. Establish and communicate benchmarks for performance and support the development and implementation of improvement projects.
- Participate in drilling Contractor toolbox meetings and Geology safety meetings to ensure that all relevant successes and opportunities for improvement are effectively communicated, and that feedback from the Contractor is registered and actioned upon where necessary.
- Participate in regular contract review meetings with drilling Contractors on behalf of KCGM to ensure that communication regarding drill program-related issues are effectively conveyed and received.
- Oversee the mobilization and demobilization of drill Contractor equipment and teams, including any necessary change management, to ensure that the processes are completed safely, smoothly and in accordance with KCGM policy.
- Assume an advisory role as a subject matter expert in all safety investigations regarding incidents/injuries associated with the drilling programs.
- Liaise closely with colleagues from elsewhere in the Company and industry to ensure that lessons are captured and issues are shared and escalated to management where appropriate.
- Assess drilling Contractor equipment maintenance plans for content, validity and achievability.
- Develop and implement a mentoring program for KCGM Geologists on all of the above accountabilities to improve the drilling knowledgebase of the team and optimise future drilling programs from the planning stage through all aspects of program execution.
- Over 10 years drilling experience.
- Experience of the Australian mining industry and associated mining regulations.
- Experience developing or working closely with contracts.
- Strong analytical skills, with a focus on Continuous Improvement.
- Dynamic, self-motivated, a determination to excel, and a commitment to action and the timely completion of tasks.
- Strong leadership and sound management skills.
- Well-developed listening skills
- Must reside in the Goldfields region.
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence.
- A spread of drilling experience in surface and underground methodologies.
- Current Certificate IV in training and assessment.
- Experience as a drilling safety and training coordinator, or in similar role.
- Financial understanding and skills.
- Exposure to strategic business planning processes.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and Annual Incentive Compensation Plan.
Career development and talent capability is supported by Newmont Australia; Newmont is one of the world’s largest gold producers with significant assets in North and South America, Africa, and Australia. Newmont is the largest gold producer in Australia, with operations located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a vibrant community, and KCGM is proud to support the region as a residential mine site. There are a variety of excellent schooling, sporting and outdoor activities. KCGM have an active and inclusive Social Club.
KCGM encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.