Senior Resource Development Geologist
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking a Senior Resource Development Geologist to join the Technical Services & Projects Department at the Superpit operation in Kalgoorlie. KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
This is a residential role on a 5:2/4:3 roster.
Key accountabilities may involve:
- Provide supervision, coaching and mentoring to members of the Open Pit Mine Geology Team, to ensure ongoing professional development and the achievement of a positive workplace culture that reflects KCGM’s Core Values.
- Personally comply with all site safety, environmental and community relations procedures and ensure compliance from all members of the Mine Geology Team.
- Ensure all incidents and accidents are reported and followed up correctly to minimise and manage risk and oversee investigations where required, ensuring that the Occupational Health and Safety Act is complied with at all times.
- Identify and develop successors for the Resource Development Geologist role.
- Prepare monthly and weekly reports on the performance of the Mine Geology function. Identify trends, variances to plans and report on performance to budget and forecasts to ensure KCGM and the Joint Venture (JV) representatives are kept informed.
- Update, on a bi-annual frequency, all geological models for the purpose of resource estimation and near-mine exploration targeting.
- Update, on an as required basis, the Open Pit void depletion model for down-stream use in block models.
- Implement and ensure compliance with Newmont Resource Development procedures and standards.
- Design, supervise and report on reserve conversion drilling programs immediately adjacent to the Fimiston Open Pit.
- Ensure compliance with all Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures (collars, downhole surveys, assaying and rehabilitation of drill sites).
- Monitor and report on QA/QC performance of all relevant data sets and take appropriate actions when trends develop outside of desired tolerances.
- Oversee and complete project work for the department to contribute to the continuous improvement of the Mine Geology function.
- Oversee and supervise drilling Contractors to ensure daily, weekly and monthly requirements are met.
- Provide short term coverage for the Mine Geology Superintendent during periods of leave or other absence.
- A tertiary qualification (minimum degree level) in geology.
- Minimum six (6) years’ experience as a geologist, with at least three (3) years in a mine geology environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in sampling, Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QAQC), resource development and reconciliation.
- Experience with Contractor Management (analytical assay and drilling).
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Good listening and decision making skills.
- Experience in Vulcan and / or Datamine.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Well-developed leadership skills.
- Must reside in the Goldfields region.
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence.
- Eight (8) years’ experience as a geologist.
- Open Pit experience in a hard rock environment.
- Open Pit experience in gold.
- Experience in Leapfrog.
- Exposure to block modelling.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and Annual Incentive Compensation Plan.
Career development and talent capability is supported by Newmont Australia; Newmont is one of the world’s largest gold producers with significant assets in North and South America, Africa, and Australia. Newmont is the largest gold producer in Australia, with operations located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a vibrant community, and KCGM is proud to support the region as a residential mine site. There are a variety of excellent schooling, sporting and outdoor activities. KCGM have an active and inclusive Social Club.
KCGM encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.