Underground Drill and Blast Engineer
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking a Drill & Blast Engineer to join the Underground Mining team at Mt Charlotte in Kalgoorlie. KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
In this residential role, you will generate, schedule and implement short term Drilling, Blasting and ancillary mine plans to achieve the operational plan in a safe and cost effective manner. This involves coordinating production activities with Underground Mine Foreman to safely achieve production plans, and providing technical support to Underground Supervisors and crew members.
The role also includes daily and weekly data management for reporting purposes and stocktake management of production drill and blast consumables to ensure the operation is provided with the tools and resources to maintain the safe underground production.
The Underground Drill & Blast Engineer position is on a 5:2 / 4:3 roster.
Key accountabilities include:
- Develop Drill and Blast plans to ensure available drilled and blasted stocks are maintained.
- Assist with the generation of the Two Weekly Plan and provide key drilling and blasting information to Planning engineer to ensure it aligns with rolling 12 weekly plan. Ensure the schedule effectively utilises production resources and maintains ore production to meet daily and weekly production targets.
- Successfully plan, monitor and manage the drilled and developed stocks to maintain sufficient stocks ahead of the mining plan.
- Conduct drill consumables and explosive products stocks are maintained to meet operational requirements and ensure legislative requirements are met for explosive management.
- Maintain and manage drill and blast contractors that support the underground production activities. Ensure conduct and management of contractors in to the KCGM standard.
- Develop and execute work plans and instructions for minor projects and ancillary service works that support the production activities of the mine to ensure safe and efficient production of stopes.
- Liaise with the Senior Production Engineer to ensure monthly targets are being achieved through daily and weekly plans. Conduct opportune mine projects as directed by Senior Technical Team.
- Undertake generation of Drill and Blast design component of the pre-production mining Stope Note and ensure the correct plans are completed before production activity commences.
- Assist the Ventilation Officer when required with Mine Ventilation planning, surveys and ventilation circuit generation and modification plans.
- Co-ordinate production activities with Underground Mine Foreman to safely achieve production plans.
- Provide technical support to Underground Supervisors and underground crew members when required, to assist in providing solutions to production activity challenges.
- Prepare Daily and Weekly reports as required
- Mining activities data base management with daily data entry for production and development activities
- Support and train Graduate Mining Engineers
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a similar underground position
- Hard Rock mining experience essential
- Bachelor of Mining or Engineering (Mining)
- Advanced level in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Experience in mine design software, however, Vulcan is the preferred software package
- Experience in a production engineering related role with exposure to underground ventilation
- Western Australian Underground Supervisors Certificate of competency, or the ability to attain the certificate, preferred
- Dangerous Goods Security Card or proof of application, preferred
- Must reside in the Goldfields, or be willing to relocate to the region
- National Police Clearance – valid within the last twelve (12) months
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence.
- Strong commitment to safety and a continuous improvement culture.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop plans that maximise the operational output
- Demonstration of a collaborative attitude with the ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation.
- Ability to manage a high workload within an often time restrictive setting.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and loyalty Quarterly Incentive Compensation Plan.
Kalgoorlie Boulder has much to offer its community, and KCGM is proud to support the region by being a residential mine site.
Kalgoorlie possesses a variety of excellent schooling options and other family opportunities, as well as many activities to do outside of work.
Apart from being home every night, working for KCGM will also afford you membership to an active and inclusive Social Club and other positive activities that take place in the region.
KCGM encourages workplace diversity. Women and applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. As part of our commitment to the Traditional Owners we welcome applications from candidates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent.