Underground Drill and Blast Engineer
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking an experienced Drill & Blast Engineer to join the Underground Mining team at Mt Charlotte in Kalgoorlie. KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
In this residential role, you will generate, schedule and implement short term Drilling, Blasting and ancillary mine plans to achieve the operational plan in a safe and cost effective manner. This involves coordinating production activities with the Underground Mine Superintendent and Production Advisor to safely achieve production plans, and providing technical support to Underground Supervisors and crew members.
The role also includes daily and weekly data management for reporting purposes and stocktake management of production drill and blast consumables to ensure the operation is provided with the tools and resources to maintain the safe underground production.
The Underground Drill & Blast Engineer position is on a 5:2 / 4:3 roster, working 9.5 hour days.
Key accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop Drill and Blast plans to ensure available drilled and blasted stocks are maintained.
- Assist with the generation of the Two Weekly Plan and provide key drilling and blasting information to Planning engineer to ensure it aligns with rolling 12 weekly plan. Ensure the schedule effectively utilises production resources and maintains ore production to meet daily and weekly production targets.
- Successfully plan, monitor and manage the drilled and developed stocks to maintain sufficient stocks ahead of the mining plan.
- Conduct drill consumables and explosive products stocks are maintained to meet operational requirements and ensure legislative requirements are met for explosive management.
- Maintain and manage drill and blast contractors that support the underground production activities. Ensure conduct and management of contractors in to the KCGM standard.
- Develop and execute work plans and instructions for minor projects and ancillary service works that support the production activities of the mine to ensure safe and efficient production of stopes.
- Liaise with the Senior Engineers to ensure monthly targets are being achieved through daily and weekly plans. Conduct opportune mine projects as directed by Senior Technical Team.
- Undertake generation of Drill and Blast design component of the pre-production mining Stope Note and ensure the correct plans are completed before production activity commences.
- Assist the Ventilation Officer when required with Mine Ventilation planning, surveys and ventilation circuit generation and modification plans.
- Co-ordinate production activities with Underground Mine Foreman to safely achieve production plans.
- Provide technical support to Underground Supervisors and underground crew members when required, to assist in providing solutions to production activity challenges.
- Prepare Daily and Weekly reports as required.
- Mining activities data base management with daily data entry for production and development activities.
- Support and train Graduate Mining Engineers
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a similar underground position essential
- Hard Rock mining experience essential
- Completion of your underground production time essential
- Bachelor of Mining or Engineering (Mining) or above
- Advanced level in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Experience in mine design software, however, Vulcan is the preferred software package
- Experience in a production engineering related role with exposure to underground ventilation
- Western Australian Underground Supervisors Certificate of competency, or the ability to attain the certificate, preferred
- Dangerous Goods Security Card or proof of application, preferred
- Must reside in the Goldfields region, or be willing to relocate to the region
- National Police Clearance – valid within the last twelve (12) months
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and Annual Incentive Compensation Plan.
Career development and talent capability is supported by Newmont Australia; Newmont is one of the world’s largest gold producers with significant assets in North and South America, Africa, and Australia. Newmont is the largest gold producer in Australia, with operations located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a vibrant community, and KCGM is proud to support the region as a residential mine site. There are a variety of excellent schooling, sporting and outdoor activities. KCGM have an active and inclusive Social Club.
KCGM encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.