Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking a Voids Technician for the Technical Services & Projects Department at the Superpit. This is a residential role on an 8/6 roster, working 11.5 hour days.
KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
This technical support role involves working as part of a team to identify void areas to ensure that the hazards associated with remnant mining are managed and work is completed in safe manner.
This role is potentially suitable for someone who is studying towards a mining-related professional qualification (such as mine Engineering), with a relatively small amount of mining experience, possessing good analytical skills who is looking for an opportunity to learn, grow and contribute to a team who play a unique and crucial part of production in the Superpit.
Key accountabilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Undertake void management activities to ensure short term void risks are safely managed and that the hazards associated with historical workings are mitigated. This includes supporting requests from other internal areas, to assist with void identification and definition.
- Ensure that void related hazards are identified and managed including but not limited to:
- Determination of flagging and voids restrictions (areas identified with historical workings)
- Designing of probe and RC holes for location and definition of historical workings
- Conduct, process and triangulate Cavity Auto Laser Surveys (CALS)
- Analyse data by reconciliation of several data sources to determine the location and nature of underground workings including;
- Reviewing historical mine plans and sections including level modelling
- Assessing drilling data from
- Probe holes
- Grade Control (RC) and Exploration holes
- Resource Definition (Res Def) holes
- Blast holes
- Subsidence reports
- Pit inspections
- Open Pit mining history
- Wire framing of historical and interpretive workings
- Seismic monitoring and extensometer (as provided by the Geotechnical Department)
- Ensure that void related hazards are safely managed including but not limited to:
- Preconditioning by deep blasting
- Planning and approving the backfilling of voids (where applicable)
- Designing and identifying access paths for mining activities through underground workings
- Investigation all subsidence reports (workings related and suspected) including hazardous ground encountered and reported during drilling
- Inspection of all blasted shots
- Ensure daily monitoring is conducted of underground workings uncovered by mining activities.
- Ensure controls are implemented to manage historical workings
- Ensure void related designs, information and approvals are communicated in a timely manner including but not limited to:
- Flagging, voids restrictions and locations are updated in the PITS package for use by Fimiston Open Pit personnel.
- Flagging information conveyed to the Survey Team for demarcation
- Flagging information conveyed to Dispatch Team for loading into machinery/vehicles
- Digplans are conveyed to the Mining Team for digging
- Complete access approvals for personnel and machinery in and around void areas
- Complete voids related assessment including; PCWAC, Environmental and Drilling Approvals
- Assist the Voids Technician Project in medium to long term voids related tasks as required.
- Study towards a relevant professional qualification, eg Mine Engineering, Survey, Geology
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy
- Proven organisational and planning abilities
- Working at Heights Accreditation.
- Excellent communication skills across a diverse group of people.
- Must reside locally in the Goldfields region
- National Police Clearance – valid within the last twelve (12) months
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence.
- Exposure to Mining Software including; Vulcan Software.
- Experience in:
- Underground and/or open cut gold mining;
- Historical mining such as Air- Leg mining;
- Drill and Blast functions of Open Pit; and/or
- Survey functions of Open Pit.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and Quarterly Incentive Compensation Plan.
Career development and talent capability is supported by Newmont Australia; Newmont is one of the world’s largest gold producers with significant assets in North and South America, Africa, and Australia. Newmont is the largest gold producer in Australia, with operations located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a vibrant community, and KCGM is proud to support the region as a residential mine site. There are a variety of excellent schooling, sporting and outdoor activities. KCGM have an active and inclusive Social Club.
KCGM encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.