An exciting opportunity now exists to work alongside a dynamic team in the Technical Services Department. This position will see you assisting in the collection and processing of geological samples to ensure the provision of timely and accurate data for analysis by Geologists.
Key Accountabilities include:
- Process diamond drill core samples. The incumbent ensures the layout and orientation of the core samples is correct, ensuring the meters are correct, marked up and the recovery & quality (RQD) tests are completed. Samples are then prepared and sent to the laboratory for testing. The remaining core sample must be carefully stored and a record of all data collected must be tabulated. This ensures detailed accurate data is obtained for every core sample and its exact location, and associated data, can be determined at a later date when required.
- Assist in regional drill programs, as required. This involves gridding, clearing, preparing samples and archiving samples as previously for the diamond core drilling process. In addition, rehabilitation of the accessed site also needs to be completed, to minimise damage to the environment.
- Maintain the core yard facility. This includes ordering supplies, inspecting and maintaining all core yard equipment and maintaining a high level of housekeeping in the core shed and lay down area. In addition the sample archives, core pallets and chip trays need to be maintained in an orderly manner to ensure a safe and well organised working environment.
- Support and assist the pit technicians in grade control if required, due to staff shortages to maintain production requirements.
- Actively demonstrate, and lead by example, the operation of all environmental, safety and security measures for the protection of all staff, the environment, and the security of company assets and consumables.
- Undertake safety investigations as directed to ensure that incidents and/or injuries are fully reviewed in a timely manner and corrective actions are identified and allocated appropriately.
- Preferably two (2) years’ experience working in a similar role, such as core sampling
- High Risk Fork Lift Licence
- First Aid Certificate - valid within two (2) years
- Intermediate level of computer literacy, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel
- A strong commitment to safety and a continuous improvement culture
- Reside locally within the Goldfields region
- Current Unencumbered WA Medium Rigid "MR" or Heavy Rigid "HR licence
- National Police Clearance – valid within the last twelve (12) months
- Strong commitment to safety, a high standard of housekeeping and a continuous improvement culture.
- Excellent time management and organisational with the ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative.
- Physically fit and able to conduct heavy lifting.
- Eye for detail, patience and precision.
- Self motivated and willing to accept challenges.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Able to supervise Contractors.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and Quarterly Incentive Compensation Plan.
Kalgoorlie Boulder has much to offer its community, and KCGM is proud to support the region by being a residential mine site.
Kalgoorlie possesses a variety of excellent schooling options and other family opportunities, as well as many activities to do outside of work.
Apart from being home every night, working for KCGM will also afford you membership to an active and inclusive Social Club and other positive activities that take place in the region.
KCGM encourages workplace diversity. Women and applicants with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. As part of our commitment to the Traditional Owners we welcome applications from candidates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island descent.