Senior Exploration Geologist
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking a Senior Exploration Geologist to join the Technical Services & Projects Department at the Superpit operation in Kalgoorlie. KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
This is a residential role on a 5:2/4:3 roster.
This position is expected to manage the Exploration team and Exploration programs, add value to existing resources, participate in the identification of the next viable ore bodies, and to extend the KCGM Life of Mine (LOM). Focus upon targeting, program design and execution of exploration projects on time and within budget.
Key accountabilities may involve:
- Actively demonstrate, and lead by example, the operation of all environmental, safety and security measures for the protection of all staff, the environment, and the security of company assets and consumables.
- Personally demonstrate a positive attitude towards working safely and in compliance with the environment and community “Social License to Operate”.
- Provide leadership through coaching, mentoring, and support for professional development activities, to members of the team to ensure ongoing professional development and the achievement of a safe and positive workplace culture that reflects KCGM's Core Values.
- Actively mentor and direct the Exploration team, Field Technicians, and Business Partners to ensure exploration is conducted as safely and effectively as possible. Management responsibility for the Exploration Geologists as direct reports: work planning and execution, coaching, performance management.
- Generate and promote exploration (wingspan and brownfields) targets which align with KCGM’s exploration strategy and LOM production profile.
- Design RAB/AC, RC and diamond (surface and underground) drill programs to test exploration targets.
- Execution of exploration projects aimed at optimizing operation’s LOM, to ensure that they are completed to plan, on time and within budget.
- Ensure all geological data is captured accurately and efficiently. Data needs to be stored in the KCGM database.
- Manage the administrative components of the execution of drill programs.
- Ensure QAQC of assay data and downhole surveys (and associated reports) is completed and processes align with KCGM standards.
- Manage the development of exploration geological models that conform to the requirements of the Joint Venture Owners’ project pipeline definitions, and in accordance with Exploration plans and schedules. Lead the interpretation of exploration information as it is generated.
- Report regularly to the Exploration Superintendent on any and all geological, project execution, technical, safety and environmental matters pertaining to project development.
- Management of Business Partner relationships (e.g. drilling, earthworks, water / rock suppliers), and ensure all Business Partners are complying with KCGM policies, procedures and standards at all times.
- Lead the continuous improvement of the Exploration Management Operating System (MOS), to ensure that clearly defined processes are functional and maintained to manage risks and opportunities, and that the exploration information is collected, recorded and organized accurately to enable results to be further refined and potential future drill targets to be identified.
- Actively manage the relationship between Exploration and all KCGM functional areas that are affected directly or indirectly by exploration activities (e.g. Environmental and Social Responsibility). Lead and continually seek to improve these cross-functional relationships through the Exploration MOS.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Technical Geologist, participation in the development of exploration target strategy and definition.
- Assist the Exploration Superintendent in the preparation of annual budgets, quarterly forecasts, and preparation of purchase and service orders commensurate with role.
- Oversee and submit regular exploration reports (quarterly, monthly, weekly) to meet corporate and legal compliance requirements.
- Actively participate in aspects of Tenement Management required to obtain government approval and permission for ground disturbance, and ensure that statutory exploration reporting requirements are adhered to.
- Participate in the development of personal training strategies and undertake appropriate training modules.
- Undertake safety investigations as directed to ensure that incidents and/or injuries are fully reviewed in a timely manner and corrective actions are identified and allocated appropriately.
- A minimum of six (6) years working in an exploration geology role.
- Experience in contractor management.
- Experience managing a small team of professionals.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- A tertiary qualification (minimum degree level) in geology or a related discipline.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Experience in 3D modelling software (Leapfrog or Vulcan), ARC and ioGAS.
- Relevant Professional Association membership (AIG or AUSIMM).
- Must reside in the Goldfields region.
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence.
- Working knowledge of production and resource modelling.
- Experience working as a production geologist.
- Formal training and, or qualifications in leadership or management.
- Experience in Achaean gold systems.
- Experience in managing RAB/AC, RC and diamond drilling programs.
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. The base salary for this position is dependent upon experience, with a range of $124,000-$170,000. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and loyalty Quarterly Incentive Compensation Plan.
Career development and talent capability is supported by Newmont Australia; Newmont Mining Corporation is one of the world’s largest gold producers with significant assets in North and South America, Africa, and Australia. Newmont is the largest gold producer in Australia, with operations located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a vibrant community, and KCGM is proud to support the region as a residential mine site. There are a variety of excellent schooling, sporting and outdoor activities. KCGM have an active and inclusive Social Club.
KCGM encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.