Underground Production Superintendent
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines Pty Ltd (KCGM) is currently seeking an experienced Underground Production Superintendent to join the Underground Mining team in Kalgoorlie. KCGM is a joint venture between Newmont Australia and Barrick Gold Corporation.
This residential 5:2/4:3 role will lead the underground production team in the safe delivery of the underground (UG) operational plan by executing the scheduled mining activities through the utilisation of human and equipment resources in a safe and productive manner.
Key Accountabilities may include:
- Implement and monitor the effectiveness of safety systems, safety culture action plan and safety processes to protect the human and equipment resources required to execute the mining schedule.
- Ensure that all incidents and accidents are reported and are followed up correctly to minimise and manage risk and oversee investigations where required, ensuring that the Occupational Health and Safety Act is complied with at all times.
- Ensure compliance with all procedures, rules and regulations are in accordance with statutory requirements (such as Australian Mining Standards) and the Safety Management Plan in order to minimise exposure and liabilities.
- Contribute to the achievement of operational and departmental goals by effectively managing and monitoring labour resource requirements and ensuring that permanent staff are adequately trained and supported
- Utilise, support and develop equipment and personnel key performance indicators to effectively manage and allocate resources to achieve the UG mining plan by collecting accurate data, analyse the data for trends and determine opportunities for improvement
- Provide leadership through coaching, mentoring and developmental activities to the UG Shift Supervisors, UG mining operations team and contractors to drive a positive inclusive workplace culture that KCGM’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Provide accurate and timely feedback to the technical services, mobile maintenance and fixed plant / electrical departments to facilitate the creation of an accurate and deliverable weekly, monthly, 12 weekly mining schedule to a level of detail, which supports the UG Shift Supervisors ability to execute mining activities to expectations.
- Contribute to developing and managing the department budget and forecast to ensure expenditure is within budget.
- Monitor and ensure all appropriate production reporting is completed on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis and where there are significant shortfalls in production, investigate, determine the cause and take corrective action
- Contribute to the site strategic objectives by working with cross functional teams, taking on project roles and understanding accountabilities and interfaces
- Identify risks and opportunities and develop strategies to improve performance, reduce risk and cost.
- A minimum of ten (10) years underground mining experience, including at least five (5) years at middle management in a similarly sized operation or a senior leadership level within a larger operation
- Extensive practical mining experience preferably associated with sub level cave, open stope and modified avoca mining methods
- Extensive man management experience
- Experience in the preparation of budgets and cost management
- Proven track record of being a problem solver through thinking out side of the box delivering alternative outcomes and continually improving performance
- Capacity to integrate collaboratively within a large open pit and processing operation
- Good understanding of environmental and social responsibility requirements for operating in close proximity to the community
- Must reside in the Goldfields region, or be willing to relocate
- Current Unencumbered Western Australian “C” Class Drivers Licence
- First Class Mine Managers Certificate of Competency
- Bachelor of Mining Engineering or other relevant discipline and/or experience
- The ability to use integrated management systems, spreadsheet applications, word processing, high level mine planning software and presentation program
- Formal leadership / management qualifications
We offer competitive salary packages including 10% superannuation and a health allowance. Joining the KCGM team also means that you are eligible for our performance and Annual Incentive Compensation Plan.
Career development and talent capability is supported by Newmont Australia; Newmont is one of the world’s largest gold producers with significant assets in North and South America, Africa, and Australia. Newmont is the largest gold producer in Australia, with operations located in Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a vibrant community, and KCGM is proud to support the region as a residential mine site. There are a variety of excellent schooling, sporting and outdoor activities. KCGM have an active and inclusive Social Club.
KCGM encourages a diverse and inclusive culture where all people can achieve and contribute to their greatest potential. We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the first Australians and respect their unique relationship with the land and sea, their culture, spiritual tradition and stories.